Sarah - Director"It is well worth catching the bus to Prodains in the morning for quicker access to Avoriaz ski area. Whilst there it's worth stopping at the little restaurant just below where Crot and Coupe du Monde cross. It is very cosy and does lovely food."
Morzine is a large, lively, year-round resort popular with the British crowd located in the centre of the Portes du Soleil. It is a traditional town which sprawls along both sides of a river gorge and is surrounded by traditional wooden chalets with slate roofs and stone foundations ensuring the village retains its character and traditional Savoyard charm.
Although accommodation can be scattered, there is an excellent multi-route bus service which links all parts of Morzine to the main lifts as well as neighbouring Les Gets. The village itself is full of life and offers a range of sporting and cultural activities alongside the traditional skiing. For those who are not intent on skiing every day, there are plenty of Alpine shops selling local produce such as Genepi and Tomme de Savoie cheese along with local knick-knacks.
There are plenty of excellent restaurants and bars for you to enjoy the après ski during the winter. If you're keen to sample the local nightlife there are several excellent bars and restaurants. The most well-known apres ski bar is Bar Robinson's. Robbo's is a traditional French cafe run by three locals who remember Morzine before it was popular. Although the bar has no music or entertainment it offers super strength Mutzig lager that has made it a popular destination for anyone who's spent the day on the hill. For a little more sophistication there is the Coup de Cour wine bar and for late night parties the Crepu, Cavern, Tibetan Bar and Opera are all grouped together just below the Pleney Cable car.
Morzine is only a short transfer from Geneva, meaning if you are a keen skier you can often manage an extra ½ day on the slopes.
SKI AREA OVERVIEW
Morzine has an extensive local area of slopes which it shares with its smaller neighbour Les Gets. The local lift pass gives you access to the Morzine and Les Gets ski area and is accessed by the new and improved Pleney gondola. It’s well worth heading over to the Point Du Nyon for views of Mont Blanc and if you keep going to Les Gets you will find the hidden gem that is Mont Chery.
If you are feeling a bit more adventurous it is worth upgrading your lift pass to include the whole of the Portes du Soleil. You can then take the Super Morzine gondola to (and back from as there is no piste alternative) Avoriaz and onto Switzerland taking in resorts such as Les Crosets and Champoussinand. This is a fantastic ski area, and well worth considering for those who like to cover large ski areas.
Flight + Transfer
219.7kg CO2 *
* Average kg of CO2e per person, based on a return journey from London Gatwick to Geneva, and shared minibus transfer.
Train + Transfer
12.4kg CO2 *
* Average kg of CO2e per person, based on a return journey from London St. Pancras to Cluses, and shared minibus transfer.
96.4kg CO2 *
* Average kg of CO2e per person, based on a return journey from the M25, via. the Dover ferry in a car carrying 4 people.
To reach the nearest station (Cluses), you'll need to take the Eurostar to Paris Gare du Nord, and change to Paris Gare de Lyon. Find availability and tickets at Rail Europe.
- Visit the Mont Chery ski area. This hidden gem is well worth half a day of your holiday.
- Try a tartifflette pizza, a traditional Savoyard dish…but on a pizza!
- Take the night time snow shoeing tour, it’s not as energetic as it sounds and it’s absolutely wonderful to see the mountains under starlight.
- Morgins village centre is a great place to stop for lunch whilst circumnavigating the whole of the Portes du Soleil. Keep an eye out for the church in the heart of the village, with its array of melodious bells.
- For a great lunch on the hill try 'La Pïaka' near the top of La Rosta. Great for the wood fire grills and a fabulous wine list to go with the sunny terrace and great views!
- We have 4 lovely chalets in Morzine to choose from, all have saunas and two share a large outdoor jacuzzi.