Vicki Cheal - Ski Expert"Great for families, and groups looking for a great ski area, if you're on a ski holiday in Flaine it's worth a ski down to the traditional villages of Les Carroz & Sixt. Expect high altitude skiing, and for family apres, enjoy a great evening in the bowling alley! Flaine is a car free resort so very safe for children to play out in the snow"
The ski resort of Flaine is located in the Haute-Savoie; a stone’s throw away from Geneva and Mont Blanc rendering it ideal for a weekend getaway. The resort sits right on top of one of France's largest ski areas, Le Grand Massif, so there are beautiful panoramic views as far as the eye can see. Flaine is a traffic free resort and has a vibrant atmosphere, great for families and groups with skiers of all expereince and ability looking to enjoy everything Flaine has to offer.
The resort is made up of two main areas, Flaine Forum and Flaine Foret; Flaine Forum being the livelier of the two which is where the hotels we feature are located. Flaine Forum has a good variety of bars and restaurants all within walking distance of accommodation. Wear your snow boots this is a snow covered pedestrian area of the resort. The view of the mountains and snow covered forests in Flaine provide for a real winter wonderland holiday.
Les Carroz and Samoens are located below Flaine, offering a more traditional French villagefeel in the centre of the Grand Massif which makes it a lovely place to ski to for lunch. One of the biggest benefits for a Ski Weekend is that Flaine is only one hour away from Geneva making it one of the most accessible resorts in the Alps and no ski buses are required to get to the slopes. We love this resort to maximise your ski time on a ski short break.
SKI AREA OVERVIEW
Being the gateway to one of France's largest ski areas, Le Grand Massif, there is no end to the amount of perfectly groomed slopes for you to enjoy on a short ski break in Flaine. The area boasts one of the best snow records in the French Alps which generally leads it to having some of the best conditions throughout the season leading to great Christmas conditions and end of season snow.
The ski area has some brilliant runs that have some stunning views of the surrounding area – including views of the Mont-Blanc region. The resort also has some very varied terrain which is perfect for mixed ability groups, ranging from some nice wide beginner runs around Flaine Foret through to the challenging Diamont Noir for the more advanced snow-goer. It also a great base for enjoying a day ski touring.
The lift systems in Flaine are also impressive - with 144 slopes all linked together by 103 fast modern lifts you'll not be disappointed! These lifts are great, because it means that even at the busiest of times, you won’t always have to wait in the typical February half-term queues that plague many other resorts.
A ski holiday to Flaine awaits!
Flight + Transfer
220.2kg CO2 *
* Average kg of CO2e per person, based on a return journey from London Gatwick to Geneva, and shared minibus transfer.
Train + Transfer
12.6kg CO2 *
* Average kg of CO2e per person, based on a return journey from London St. Pancras to Cluses, and shared minibus transfer.
96.8kg CO2 *
* Average kg of CO2e per person, based on a return journey from the M25, via. the Dover ferry in a car carrying 4 people.
To reach the nearest station (Cluses), you'll need to take the Eurostar to Paris Gare du Nord, and change to Paris Gare de Lyon. Find availability and tickets at Rail Europe.
- Visit La Pente à Jules for some slope side après ski with a laid back atmosphere – if you aren’t keen on the après ski, check out the menu in the restaurant for an enjoyable mountain lunch with a view!
- On a powder day, make sure you get out early to get some fresh tracks as the terrain gets skied out pretty quickly. One place to head for this is the Combe de Gers – a great place to learn the art of off-piste skiing!
- Try out the ‘Cascades’ run – this is a 14km run which goes from the top of Flaine (Grandes Platieres lift) all the way down to Sixt. If you catch it on a nice bluebird days, you will be treated to some stunning views!